Monday, August 3, 2009

long time no see

Oops. I'm sorry to say that I have been completely remiss in updating this thing.

I'll attempt to catch up, but I'll have to do so gradually, I'm afraid.

First, let's tackle the whole Oxford vs. Cambridge thing. Believe it or not, this is probably harder than it sounds. There were waffles and chapels involved.

I visited Oxford on my second weekend in London, and Cambridge happened the very next weekend. Hooray!

Things both Oxford and Cambridge had:

1. Chapels. Like I said. And both had beautiful chapels. In Oxford, I believe the one we saw was Trinity College Chapel. Small and pretty. We weren't allowed to walk in very far. We couldn't even walk down the aisles. There was, however, a bust of J.R.R. Tolkein's head. Cambridge had King's College Chapel. Huge and beautiful. The big altar in the middle was given for Anne Boleyn by Henry VIII before he chopped her head off. (Too irreverent?)

2. Famous pubs. Oxford had the Eagle and Child, which is where C.S. Lewis and Tolkein used to meet up and have semi-intellectual discussions over cigars and beer. The fishandchips is excellent. Cambridge had the pub where Watson and Crick celebrated after discovering the structure of DNA. I can't decide which pub was more awesome. As a former science nerd, I kind of want to say the Eagle in Cambridge was more fun. But Lewis and Tolkein are WICKED AWESOME (I'm from Boston?) and they did meet there regularly.

3. Food. Obviously. But I mean special-and-related-to-the-universities-food. The Eagle and Child had really excellent fishandchips as stated above, but I think Cambridge wins on this one. They had WAFFLES. Waffles with candy, waffles with strawberries, waffles with ham and cheese, waffles with banana and chocolate, and a waffle with everyimaginablesweetthingyoucouldeverywantonawaffle.

4. Friends! Both places are equally wonderful in this case, of course. Lois in Oxford and Emily in Cambridge!



Will post more on this topic soon!





So, let's take a tally.

No comments: