Tuesday, July 7, 2009

first day jitters

Everyone knows I like to show up early and be prepared when embarking on a new activity. Often to my detriment. Early people aren't often considered 'cool', either. No matter. I'll sacrifice cool points for my neurotic tendencies.

I left early this morning so I could pick up breakfast on the way. There is NO WAY I was going to eat cereal after being so sick yesterday. Milk + sickness = REALLY BAD SICKNESS.

I picked up some breakfast, pulled out my Oyster card, and headed for the tube. I could do this. I felt sure. I followed my pre-planned and pre-practiced -- I told you I'm a bit neurotic -- route. The first tube was REALLY crowded: it gave new meaning to the phrase "huddled masses". I was squished. And, apparently, I was unaware that in order to be acceptably outfitted for a journey during rush hour one needs a newspaper. Without a newspaper, you're either weird or a tourist. Oops. Oh, well.

Feeling slightly superior to the few tourists (I knew where I was going!), I made my switch and headed for the second train.

This time the very first one that pulled up was crowded. Weird. This is supposed to be the uncrowded one.

At this time, I paused to check my phone for the time.

WHAT?! IT'S ONLY 8.50?!

I had an hour left for a 15-minute journey, tops.

After waiting for a less-crowded train, I still managed to make it to my stop WAAAYYY ahead of schedule. As in, almost an hour early. How did I do that? Dork. No matter. I brought a book. I planted myself in a park next to [strangely] other people that had books, papers, and time to kill before starting work.

Okay. I've read enough. Time to go.

Made it there, got all checked in, got my own security badge (cool!) and met the other intern. He seems really nice.

All in all, I didn't do much productive work today, but it was nice to finally be where I was supposed to be and learn a little about the ropes. I've already been told that I'll get to meet all sorts of really awesome people and high-ups and do some serious networking. SWEET. Just what I wanted. And needed.



So excited.


P.S. In case you were wondering, I probably can't post too many details of the job online. This seems like a bad idea.

No comments: