Sunday, July 5, 2009

an american in [London]

Today, I decided to go find my future workplace, explore the area, get a pass to the gym, and go grocery shopping. That was the list for today. All have been accomplished by 2.30 in the afternoon. Hooray!

Things I have seen today:

1. Houses of Parliament. Duh. And they're beautiful. Cannot believe it. Didn't go in. Sad.

2. Westminster Abbey. Didn't go in this time, either.

3. Winston Churchill. Statue on Parliament Road. Kind of cool.

4. 10 Downing Street. Wish I could go in. Alas, Gordon Brown doesn't know we're friends, so I had to stay outside the gate with everyone else. The horses had guards, though, and that was pretty cool. One of the horses was NOT happy to be there.

5. St. James' Park. Very pretty. Got a sandwich at one of the little kiosk things. Decent. But it was the Diet Coke that was the most important, if we're being honest.

6. Buckingham Palace. Crawling with tourists. Typical for the season, I guess. Still pretty. There was a mini parade out front. I'm sure it has some normal significance of which I am unaware. No one else seemed too fascinated except for the families with small children. There was only a tiny band and some of the guard marching behind.

7. Lord Byron Nelson. Of course I had to go see one of the best strategic sailors ever. Plus, he's right near all of the other things I was seeing, so why not?

No comments: