For the last two days, it has been almost hot. In London. Which means it's absolutely perfect outside, and boiling on the tube. That's the worst part about good weather: it lies. So nice and sunny, yet soooo incredibly hot in the organized transportation.
Never fear, this evening the weather got worse. Rain. To add to the heat. Then is was warm and rainy. Sticky. Even worse on the underground. Ugh. All those people standing uncomfortably close.
...
So, to continue with my mission of catching up on past things.
A couple of weekends ago I adventured to Bath. The decision to go was kind of spontaneous. Saturday afternoon I was walking around town and I realized that I wasn't guaranteed to have another weekend to go.
I decided I would look up train fares and times. Reasonable. Next step, buy a new copy of Northanger Abbey. Perhaps I didn't need it, but it was fun reading it just before seeing all the things mentioned in it.
Things I saw in Bath:
1. The Roman Baths. They had their own type of Bath. I did the audio tour. It was nice.
2. The Pump Room. This was the famous place for people who were more feeble to get water everyday. It supposedly made everyone better. Plus, it was the place to be in the late 1700s. Everyone who was anyone made a six-week trip (any longer was considered a bore, any shorter and you weren't acceptably cool)to Bath in the summer and went nearly every afternoon to the Pump Room to meet with people, have some tea, and get busy socializing.
3. Royal Crescent. Not too exciting. Just a curved street with nice houses and such on it. But it was the place to stay in Jane Austen's time. I had to see it.
4. Jane Austen Centre. Not the official museum, but fun. I had fun feeling vaguely knowledgeable about Bath and Jane's books about Bath. I haven't read Persuasion [yet!] but Northanger Abbey is clever enough to make up for that. There was even a vaguely terrible video as part of the tour! Excellent! Bad clothing choices and all.
5. Assembly Rooms. Couldn't go in. There was a function. A wedding or something. They would have been nice. Would have been one of the other places in Jane's books. At least I saw where they were.
It was nice to be [re]reading an Austen book about Bath while traveling to and from Bath. Made me happy. And it also makes me a nerd.
Oh well!
Thursday, August 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment