First there was snow, and then there was slush.
I awoke this morning for the usual breakfast of sausage, baked beans, mushrooms, and hashbrowns, and was surprised to find snow. That’s right, snow. And more than last time. This time it wasn’t a stretch to call it a dusting [by MA standards, I suppose].
And, surprisingly, it’s been falling on and off all day. It made me so happy to have to break out a hat for the walk to class.
I’ve settled into a Monday routine, and that makes me feel more comfortable. I like a little bit of routine. Breakfast, shower, first lecture on Political Economy of East Asia. This lecture is followed by a trek to either Subway or Baguette Express for a sandwich for lunch. And, if I’m lucky, I can squeeze in either an expedition around the part of town where the second lecture is, or a drink [hot chocolate or coffee] at Elephant House.
And yes, Elephant House is where what’s-her-face wrote the first Harry Potter book. It’s right by one of my classes. I feel so … vaguely pretentious saying I get coffee there on a regular basis. Well, Mondays, at least.
Funny story. So London has gotten about ten inches of snow so far over about the last 24 hours or so. The ENTIRE CITY shut down. There has been talk about snow for the last couple of days as a warning, and the city still isn’t functioning.
The NYTimes even felt compelled to write a story about it. The buses aren’t running, the streets haven’t been sanded, and one of the biggest airports in the world cancelled or delayed hundreds of flights. Even the subway system [the Tube] has a lot of delays.
Edinburgh has gotten a bit of snow, but no more than about 2 inches so far. I secretly [or not so secretly] hope there will be more snow, but we’ll see. It’s still snowing on and off.
Also, I found this yesterday while Stumbling [it’s a fun program for Firefox] and I thought it was funny. I decided to share it.
Monday, February 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment