Sunday, February 8, 2009

world spins madly on

There is one subject I am choosing to avoid in this post. If you came to read about that, I’m sorry. I don’t think it’s a good idea to write about that here. [It’s not healthy or warranted.] So I will write about other things.

Today I went shopping in Glasgow. It was fun. I got a couple of dresses and a cute pair of flats (called pumps here). We took the train from Waverly station to Glasgow and then walked around the surrounding rectangular shopping area.

Amidst all this shopping distraction, Anya and I stopped for lunch at T.G.I. Friday’s. Why would we choose to eat at an American restaurant in Scotland, you ask? Well, I’ll tell you. Firstly, because the lovely dining hall in the complex of dorms does not serve much quality meat. Sure, they have sausage and bacon (more like salty country ham) in the morning, the occasional beef pie (and sometimes haggis!) with dinner, and loads of chicken, but these things do not satisfy in the same manner in which a steak fills one to the brim. Protein is good. Also, it was a day-trip to Glasgow. Why not eat nice food while you’re out on the town?

I have one lovely thing about this particular Friday’s, and one not-so-lovely.

The lovely bit is that when they accidentally give you a steak cooked well when you asked for medium rare, they replace it immediately and subtract the whole incorrect meal from your bill. And the manager comes over and apologizes profusely. In this case, they even replaced Anya’s burger so we could eat at the same time. Two meals with diet cokes came to less than 20 pounds because we weren’t charged for my steak. Excellent.

The bad news? They don’t serve iced tea. Way to get my hopes up. I’ve had so much hot tea that I was secretly craving some tea of the colder variety. Not that I don’t like hot tea. Ask anyone. I love it. I’ve had at least 3 cups in the last 2 hours. That’s probably part of the reason I’m still awake. But sometimes you just need iced tea. It’s true. You can test it empirically.

Of all the restaurants, you would think Friday’s would serve iced tea. But no. Fail.

Thing of note: Have you noticed it’s difficult to follow the government stimulus plan things? Maybe it’s because I’m so far away.

No comments: