Tuesday, March 3, 2009

the power of suggestion

I’ve heard rumors there was a nasty amount of snow along the Eastern coast of the US last night and for the last couple of days. Even Atlanta was hit.

Now, I’m as sympathetic as the next person about the snow being dangerous. Snow can truly be deadly. I’m just as upset at the death of a pregnant woman and her mother.

But is it really necessary to make me depressed about snow? I mean, really.

This article is the thing I’m talking about.

I’ve always wondered why there isn’t a larger percentage of people who enjoyed the snow. Well, I guess now I have my answer. It’s the newspapers. If you always report about the snow like it’s the end of the world, of COURSE no one’s going to enjoy it.

It’s nice to be up to date and know that a thousand flights were cancelled by ten a.m., but, if the newspapers report death and destruction with every major snowstorm, you’re going to be very depressed until you move to southern California.

These people live on the East Coast. I realize it’s unusual to get snow in North Carolina. And I realize it’s unusual to get more than a foot of snow at the beginning of March. But, really? There are children around. Children who love to sled down hills. [I know I do.] People who get out there and take food and water to the stranded people. Mothers who have a spontaneous take-your-kid-to-work day. Fathers who just HAVE to stay home and go make snow angels with their kids. [darn.]

Why can’t snow be a good thing?

I like the guy at the end.

1 comment:

Ishkie said...

Read boston.com

They have all sorts of articles about why the snow rocks and what makes Boston better in the winter