Thursday, March 12, 2009

they should give me an award

Two essays done, one presentation done. One essay and one presentation to go.

The problem I’ve run into is that I have NO IDEA what I’m writing about on this essay. The class I’m in is one of the most scattered courses I’ve ever encountered. The lectures don’t seem to follow a trajectory. Vaguely chronological, but there’s no pattern. There’s no focus on wars, the implication of international interactions, humanitarian concerns, nothing. And the lecturer gets sidetracked easily. All these things add up to me being REALLY confused about exactly what she wants in an essay and what exactly any of these articles mean.

My room has turned into the study/work room. I quite like it. I have a hot water kettle [for tea, obviously], a constant supply of cereal, a decently comfy bed, and wordless jazz that makes any student feel instantly more intellectual and capable of writing a fantastic paper. The addition of people means I have company when working, and a built-in distraction when my eyes can no longer focus on a computer screen.

In other news, did you read the news? I’ve been behind lately, but twitter tells me that NPR decided to report on the breakup of Sarah Palin’s daughter.

I’m as much a fan of gossip news as… well, I’m not much of a fan. But politicized breakups are hilarious.

Apparently, Bristol Palin and her fiancé (baby daddy) decided “a while ago” to break it off. Now, why is this significant and news-worthy? Multiple choice question! :

a. Sarah Palin could be running for office herself soon. I mean, it’s feasible. And many news people were talking about it at the end of the campaigns last year. This makes any and all business concerning her family and office instantly interesting. Unfortunately, no one will know it’s interesting for another two and half years.

b. Everyone really wants to know about Bristol Palin’s breakup. Doubt it.

c. NPR wanted to point out that AFTER THE CAMPAIGN WAS OVER Sarah’s daughter suddenly isn’t getting married. AND it’s been off for “a while.” Highly suspicious. Perhaps the engagement was a campaign ploy? Maybe?

d. Both a and c.


Now, I like Sarah Palin as much as the next person. Truly, I do. She has cool hair and a funny accent. Her politics also seem to be a happy accident that she’s thrilled about. That’s awesome. Go for it. Wave at those Russians from your backyard. I would just like to point out, though, the hilarity of this story. Good job, NPR. You made my night. I can now happily go back to reading about power-sharing in Burundi knowing that Sarah still has family drama that makes the national news organizations.

On that note, goodnight, and I wish my life were filled with more things than papers. One day it will be, I promise.

No comments: