1. New food. Yes, I did it. I tasted Haggis. I also tasted Black Pudding and neeps. (At least two eye-witnesses.) None of it tastes as scary as what it actually is. Haggis, made of ground organ meat, tastes kind of like an over-mushy sausage in gravy. And Black Pudding just tasted like whatever spices they put in it (mine had pepper and something else I couldn’t place.) It’s made of fried blood. Yep. Don’t make that face. It’s good in small quantities.
2. Pubs. Not necessarily for the reason crossing you mind at this very moment. I just like that everyone is so social. There’s almost always something to do. My only complaint is that the stores close early.
3. Bookstores. I’ve already found at least two that I’m madly in love with. One sells new books and all the books needed for classes (thanks, Josh), and the other sells used and discounted books. Excellent.
4. Redheads. No, there aren’t that many more here than anywhere else I’ve been, it’s just that all the ones I see bond better in our shared persecution. Apparently, it’s funny to make fun of redheads. And it seems to be more common here – even amongst a higher percentage. I have already met at least three redheads all fun and friendly. One helped me find a building. Another vacated the room I’m currently living in.
5. Coincidences. I’ve run into so many people from the US that are all studying here. A few people from school and schools around, and even one girl I hadn’t seen in four years. Weird.
6. Exercise. If I went to the gym, I would no longer need to go. Now I don’t even need to feel guilty that I don’t go. Fantastic. Saves me the £60 membership fee. I live 20-30 minutes away (walking) from all my classes and the main part of campus. It’s not a bad walk; there are all sorts of shops along the road and the buildings are pretty. Sometimes the weather isn’t so great for walking, but that’s why God gave me curly hair: so I could walk.
I’m sure there are more; this is an ever-growing list. More to come later.
"And if you deliver an opinion at all, it is mere stupidity not to do it with an air of conviction and well-founded knowledge. You make it your own in uttering it, and naturally get fond of it."
-- The Mill on the Floss, by George Eliot
Monday, January 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i like you.
fry me some blood, bitch.
Post a Comment