Found (well, a friend found) a wonderful place that sells lovely hot chocolate and has monkeys all around. Not live ones, of course, just fun stuffed ones. It’s cute.
Don’t tell anyone, but today I ate lunch at KFC. That’s right. Kentucky Fried Chicken. There’s one right near all the buildings my classes are in. Can you believe that?
Now, many people know that I have a running experiment. Every country to which I travel (so far) has a McDonald’s. I make it my goal to test out each one and survey the differences. For example, in Japan, they use whole milk and the pancakes are delicious. In Argentina – where they’re known for steak – the burgers were gross.
I haven’t found the McDonald’s here yet. It’s a project. But I decided KFC would suffice for the time being. Besides, it’s where a couple of my friends were having lunch. Convenient.
And it’s weird. They don’t sell the same things. I was going to get the potato bowl or whatever it is that’s so deliciously unhealthy. But they don’t have it! Instead, I opted for the popular Toasted Twister. It’s a wrap with chicken and lettuce and tomatoes and sauce. Quite good. But not the heavier American way to eat fried chicken. I was the smallest bit disappointed.
I was adventurous again last night and went to a small cell group with a couple of girls. It’s the equivalent of housechurch at MERCYhouse. Small group in someone’s home. No dinner, but there was tea and snacks. It was fun and the people were nice. I’m planning a return trip.
I learned something new today (besides how to exit the building when the fire alarm goes off.) I learned that the word ‘supper’ does not equal ‘dinner’ like in American culture. Supper means probably a small snack before bed like tea and biscuits or some such. It’s not a meal. Odd.
Oh! And at cell group last night I learned there’s a fantastic Northern Irish snack/sweet thing that is absolutely heavenly. They have ground cookies, marshmellows, condensed milk, and various other ingredients. They were sooo good. I’m going to have to hunt down the recipe. New mission in life: learn to make Fifteens.
Friday, January 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment