Sunday, January 18, 2009

smooth sailing

Another reason to love Edinburgh: I found three quality music stores all within a half hour’s walk from my dorm. I went out adventuring and doing errands on Friday, and decided to stop in a few of these stores just to see what they had and such. One of them had a huge collection of records. If I had my record player here, I don’t think I could resist the large selection of vinyl.

I also found an adorable store that sells teacups and fun china and such. I couldn’t help it. Don’t judge. I only got one mug. And a bowl. For lunches. A cute lime green bowl.

People here have started planning huge inauguration parties. For Obama. The entire day will be big over here. Not nearly as big as in America, obviously, but still really big. The Politics Society (society = club) in particular is very excited and has rented out a pub starting at 4 in the afternoon and will fill the place. They’re also having a huge projector screen and they’ll watch an American new channel. Several people have asked me who I voted for, and they usually make awkward faces as if they were curious but don’t want to offend me in case I voted McCain. I am from Texas, after all.

I visited a church this morning. A few girls in my dorm went with me, so I appreciated that. Finding a church is hard on your own – especially when you know nothing of the city. I think I liked it overall. Might visit another next Sunday.

Things have been rolling along smoothly. No huge upsets; nothing huge and memorable. I didn’t have class on Friday, so I went out adventuring. But nothing major besides finding a few shops I love and seeing more of the city.

No comments: