Thursday, January 15, 2009

adventures

My hair loves Edinburgh. You may think this sounds silly, and that’s because you’re right. It’s silly to like a place because my hair does. But who doesn’t like to feel like they look nice? When you get up in the morning and look in the mirror, wouldn’t you like to be happy with the hair on the head staring back at you? That’s what I thought. Ergo, I think it’s great that my hair agrees with Edinburgh. It’s extra-curly and standout-ish. I can’t get away with anything sneaky, but people have been friendly. I also think the friendliness has something to do with the fact that I can’t possibly be a psychokiller. [I would be spotted and identified immediately. ]

After having dinner with Ashley yesterday (hooray!), I was adventurous and went to meet the sailing club. I figured I would check it out. Sailors tend to be my kind of people – fun, awkward, and friendly. And loud. It was alright, but I don’t know if I’ll stick around. The club is a little more informal, anyway, since they choose teams for team racing at the beginning of the year and I don’t have any yachting experience.

Bravery seemed to be the path I was attempting to follow, so I went confidently to my tutorial this morning. I hadn’t done nearly all the reading (there was an exorbitant amount – seriously) but I figured most of my classes at MHC are the size of tutorials anyway. Surely I’ll be fine. I know how to participate in discussion. Turns out I was right. I met some very nice people that told me you never had to read more than two or three articles, and they were amazed that I went to such a small school with such small classes. [Parents shouldn’t freak out here. I’m not being a slacker. The tutor also confirmed the smaller reading assignments.]

The man doing the construction work in the bathroom right in front of my room is hilarious. He’s Scottish, and his accent is really thick. He also keeps his radio on advice radio stations and really girly music. When something odd or wrong happens – or that “Hallelujah” comes on – he swears a lot, but you (I) can’t really tell what he’s saying because of the accent. He’s one of those people you don’t want to startle while he’s holding power tools.

I’ve been hearing stories of a strange American boy who came to school here and is completely obsessed with Scotland. As in, so obsessed he freaks out the English and Scottish people a little bit. He learned to play the bagpipes. He lives in the complex thing my dorm is in and everyone keeps asking me if I’ve heard him play. Well, today I did. For the first time. He’s pretty good at it, too. He’s goes up a little way on Arthur’s Seat (it’s historical and right behind my dorm) and plays for all to hear. Gracie says I should be friends with him and I think I agree. I’ll have to work on that.


"International relations then consists in a dialogue between the governments of states, and through them, between their populations."
-- Africa and the International System by Christopher Clapham

2 comments:

marsanity said...

Ialways knew you were witty but now I can read it on your blog. You have a flair for writing and I love reading it. Love and Hugs, Grannie

eeples and beeneenees said...

thanks! i appreciate it.