So, I considered posting a sentimental goodbye blog before leaving or right when I got back to Texas, but it just didn't happen and I can't bring myself to do it. 'Why?' you ask? Well, because that's admitting defeat. Posting a goodbye post makes things real, and sometimes I like my things fake. Haven't you ever heard that Flaming Lips song?
I did make it back home. There was a distinct lack of sleep for several hours. I did meet new people on the plane. And I did have ribs as the first meal when I got back. Excellent.
I also went shopping on the second day I was back. Good.
I'm having a lovely time being warm. And not Edinburgh warm. I mean ACTUALLY warm. As in, I can feel the impending-ness of the sunburn as it almost happens. And that's just walking around Firewheel Mall. So warm it's classified as hot in any other part of the world. [Or country, for that matter.] It's great. The only thing that's not great about it? The SUPER POWERFUL air conditioning. Every year I know it's coming. The great freeze of walking indoors. The way one can be dying of heat stroke outside but need a parka after standing inside for more than about two minutes. I can sense the air conditioning coming. But it always surprises me. [What? Carry a sweater? But it's 92 degrees outside!] Native Texan, and the air conditioning takes me by surprise all. the. time.
Had an airport reunion with the sister on the day I arrived back. She was leaving. We spent somewhere around half an hour together, and then she was gone. I won't see her until Christmas. Can you believe that? My own sister and in the course of a whole year I will only see her for 30 minutes. I realize I've told everyone and their mother about my depressing lack of contact with my sister, but it still makes me a little sad.
On a completely different note: Study for the GRE has begun. The goal is to take the GRE before the end of the summer. Must happen. Otherwise it needs to be taken by the end of September. But then there's limited time for other tests. Bah. Studying never ends.
Home and being as productive as I can muster on my three-ish weeks off. My only break until Christmas.
Monday, June 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment